There are a bazillion guides to brewing out there. Here are our starter guides to show you how to get going with three of the most popular methods: the cafetière, the Kalita Wave and the Aeropress. I've even put some links in to some vintage Steampunk brew guides on YouTube! We are working on updating these, but this will get you started for now.
8 cup Cafetiere - 8 Tablespoons of freshly ground coffee, 6 cup Cafetiere - 6 Tablespoons of freshly ground coffee, 4 cup Cafetiere - 4 Tablespoons of freshly ground coffee.
1. Pre-heat the cafetiere with boiling water and empty.
2. Grind the freshly roasted coffee coarsely (to the size of breadcrumbs) and scoop into the cafetiere.
3. Half fill the cafetiere with water just off the boil. Wait 30 seconds to allow the coffee to "bloom", this allows the gasses to escape from the coffee.
4. Add the remaining water. Allow to brew for a further 3 1/2 minutes.
5. Press down plunger and serve immediately. Do not leave the coffee to continue sitting in the cafetiere as this will cause it to become over extracted and bitter.
WATCH OUR CAFETIERE BREW GUIDE ON YOUTUBE
The Kalita Wave
Ratio: 18g of (ideally freshly) ground coffee to 280ml of water (just off the boil).
This method uses Kalita Wave Brewer, Kalita Filters, Carafe or Mug
1. Pre-soak the filter with boiling water to remove any paper aftertaste and warm the carafe. Discard the water in the carafe.
2. Add 18g of ground coffee into the brewer. Set your time for 3 minutes.
3. Start your timer and add a small amount of water, just enough to soak all the ground coffee. This should be about double the weight of your coffee.
4. Wait 30 seconds, then continue to add the remaining water in short steps, pouring in a spiral motion to agitate the coffee.
5. Pour for approximately 5 seconds, then wait for 2 seconds before repeating. Continue until all 280ml of water has been used.
6. After 3 minutes, remove the brewer, pour into a pre-warmed mug and enjoy!
WATCH OUR KALITA WAVE BREW GUIDE ON YOUTUBE
The Aeropress is a great simple way of making coffee on the go. Here is our guide to get you started...
1. Fully extend the Aeropress and turn upside down. Remove filter holder and insert a paper filter. Do not re-attach yet. Rinse the filter with boiling water to remove any paper aftertaste. Pre-heat the Aeropress the same way.
2. Add one scoop of freshly ground coffee. Set your time for 1 1/2 minutes.
3. Start your timer and slowly add all of the water in to the brewer.
4. After 1 1/2 minutes, replace the filter cap and filter back on to the Aeropress.
5. Carefully flip the Aeropress and place on top of your mug, and push the plunger slowly all the way down, ideally within 30 seconds.
6. Remove the Aeropress and enjoy!
Recipe: 17g of ground coffee to 240ml of water
WATCH OUR AEROPRESS BREW GUIDE ON YOUTUBE
If you would like to read more about grinding coffee why not check out our blog post about Entry level grinding: the hand grinder