By Mick Gormley
18g coffee (our current Colombian Paola Trujillo works very well)
Grind size: just a little bit coarser than espresso. On a Baratza Encore this is down at the '0' setting.
Water: 90g / ml at 100C
Brew time: 90s
Filter: Cafe Concetto 'Fine'
- Turn Aeropress upside down and remove filter basket
- Push the piston up until it's half way up the '3' mark
- Warm the chamber with a little hot water and discard
- Place Aeropress on top of scales and tare
- Add 18g ground coffee and tare
- Start timer on scales or phone / stopwatch
- Add 90g water at 100C
- Stir vigorously until there are no clumps of coffee
- Steep for 90 seconds
- Place metal filter on top of the brew chamber
- Screw on the filter basket
- Remove Aeropress from the scales
- Carefully place a cup upside down over the filter basket, holding it firmly in place and gripping the opposite end with your other hand.
- Flip the Aeropress so the cup is now upright on a flat surface and slowly push the piston down, all the way through the 'hiss' at the end
Blinking flip that's good!
There will be some coffee 'fines' in your drink, which to me don't detract in any way, and only really collect as a very fine sediment in the final few millilitres. This might be a bit of a marmite thing, but if they really bother you, you are no longer my friend.